Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Taiwan Beer Gold Metal - 台湾啤酒金牌 Who gave TTL this medal?

I remember when my good buddy, long since gone back to the homeland with his nice Taiwanese wife, called me up one day not long after TTL starting brewing Taiwan Beer Gold Metal in 2003 to meet him at a typical small local Taiwanese food cantina, not for the food (well, we did eat), but for this "great beer" that the local monopoly finally made. We quaffed quite a few that night and agree it was by far so much better than that brown bottle stuff (review) that TTL only had offered up until then. Those were good days indeed.

Fast forward a few years later when CostCo finally opened up in Taipei and started selling cases of this brew. I bought some, but started getting some light obnoxious headaches. Not the kind after a heavy bout of drinking, but sometimes just after a bottle or two. Since then, I swore off this gold medal beer until re-tasting it again for this bit.

Of course, some may be asking, how the h-e-double-hockey-sticks did this beer get to be called Gold Medal. Well, back in 2002 it won a silver medal at the Brewing Industry International Awards (winners' list) for a lager with ABV from 4.5-5.%. TTL must've been slapping everyone's backs over this, but it must be stated that they won the Silver, while the Gold went to....... drum rolls please........ Miller Genuine Draft (though made in Ireland. They make it better there than in U.S.? I'm guessing not that much better.). Sheet. MGD was what we bought by the caseload for beer parties in college. I.e, it was butt cheap in price. But, I give TTL very big credit for beating out the Bronze winner of Samuel Adams Boston Lager (pic), which has only in the past 2 summers shown up on shelves at 7-11 stores in Taiwan (don't get me started on why 7-11 didn't carry SABL year-round after summer 2010, considering its shelves were nearly always empty after foreigners would scoop them up). But I digress.


I thought this was a pretty cool label, though I never saw it on store shelves in 2004. Must've missed it.


Ahh, the beer girls. Where would this industry be without them.



Excellent looking head after pouring into a 500cc glass.
Foam held very well after taking a first sip, which has some bitterness which lingers a tad long.
Does have same consistent taste after follow-up swills.
There seems to be something lacking versus its excellent brother, Taiwan Beer Draft (review), but at least it is much better than the original, Taiwan Beer.
Not yet 1/4 done and that feeling in my head slightly comes back. Burned again, but only somewhat.
Remembered the plan while drinking the original, so out came some snacks.
Planned worked well.


Becomes slightly duller on the last 1/3 of swiling.
Still has that distinct smell on the final gulp. Shall it get a bonus mug?  Nah....
The last chaser turned out a bit weak.

Thanks go out to http://taipics.com/ for the baseball label and chicks' pics.

Beer type:  Lager
Alcohol content:  4.5%
Price for 600cc bottle:  N$50
Rating (out of 10):   + some excellent burps.

3 comments:

  1. I actually like Taiwan beer, and prefer this to all other beers in Taiwan. The only exception would be those Belgian beers that periodically show up at RT Mart. I highly recommend a trip to their brewery in Jhunan. Not only is it interesting, but when I was there I had all the beer I could drink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I also prefer Taiwan beer to most other beers in Taiwan (always try to root for the home team), but it's the Taiwan Draft version in the green bottle with an 18-day expiration that fills my fridge.

    http://betelnutdigest.blogspot.com/2011/09/taiwan-beer-draft-lost-beer.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Mine beer gives me stomach aches. Can't say why. Hopefully that trip will be worth the effort - there's no telling if that "all the beer you can drink" policy is still in effect. Incidentally, you reminded me that there used to be a brewery in Wugu, Taipei County. Not sure if it's still around, but it would be worth investigating. I had their beer once, about four years ago, and remember thinking that it was very good!

    ReplyDelete